Moselschleife

 

Impressum

 

 

 

Wolf & Environment

uk

 

countryside | district history

countryside

 

to be continued ...

TOP

district history

Like many other places along the mosel Wolf is of a a celt-roman origin.. The hill top behind the district served the romans as a watchtower. At the same spot a church was built on the hill around 950. Even today you can still see the tower ruin from the 12 th century. The hall remains go back to the gothic period.

First the monastery of Maria was consecrated to „ our dear women „ and was managed from the same religious order. After 1478 „ the golden brothers of collective life „ lived here. Because of their pointy hats they were also called „ the kogel gentlemen „. In this time from 1498 until 1500 a new monastery was built together with a huge church. The consequences of the reformation in the rear shire Sponheim as also the construction of a new church, which you can still see today let the monastery with the church on the hill slowly lapse after 1685. As you can still see today, in town many houses in the 18 th and 19 th century were built with the slates from the old monastery. After the commotion of the 30 year war and all together 6 french war fares and occupations between 1645 and 1814 the Moseltal was assigned Prussian and Wolf assigned to the departement Zeltingen.

Since Wolf was a peninsula it was very hard to reach the district. After the Moselbahn was built in 1902-1905 on the right side of the Mosel, Wolf was connected to the neighbour villages. With this the technological progress also came to Wolf in the 20 th century. In 1912 a waterpipe was built and 2 years later the electricity was attached to the power supply system of Traben Trabach.

The business of the Moselbahn which was also humorously called the Saufbähnchen went out of operation in january 1963. In june 1963 the Wolfer bridge was officially opened, even though the traffic handover and the last ferry shipping were already on the 19 th october 1962.

Because of the high costs which were spent to build the bridge, the cable car and the clarification plant ( one of the first ones along the middle Mosel ) the district of Wolf had a high amount of outstanding depths. In 1969 because of the administrative reform this led to the connection as a district with the city Traben Trabach.

The old railroad embankment of the Moselbahn was still obtained until 1996. Even these last traces of the railroad which past through Wolf over 58 years are now gone. Instead of the railroad we now have a beautiful wide Moselbank and since 2003 we finally also have a boating pier for boat fares.

TOP

Also look at the website of our district of Wolf

 

Campingplatz Wolf, Familie Rolf Sausen 56841 Traben-Trarbach / WOLF info@campingplatz-wolf.de Tel: +49 6541-9174 oder -2633
Impressum